2 kg tomatoes (see below)
1 kg onions, diced
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and grated to the core 500 g sugar
750 ml cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon curry powder
1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
2 tablespoons cornflour
1/3 cup cider vinegar, extra
- Place all ingredients except the cornflour and extra vinegar in a large pot and cook slowly until the vegetables are very soft.
- Combine cornflour and vinegar in a small bowl and add to the simmering tomato mixture, stirring well. Cook for 3 minutes then remove from the heat and pour into sterilized jars, seal and label and store in a dark, dry and cool place.
If using field or roma tomatoes, chop roughly. If using cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half.
2 kg continental or Lebanese cucumbers 3 onions, cut into thin slices
1 green capsicum, cut into thin slices
2 cloves garlic, cut into thin slices
1/3 cup coarse salt or cooking salt
2 1⁄2 cups sugar
1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
1 teaspoon celery seeds
- Cut the cucumbers into thin slices but do not peel. Place cucumbers, onions, capsicum and garlic into a large contained (not aluminium) and sprinkle with salt. Cover with a layer of ice cubes and leave for about 4 hours.
- Rinse the vegetables in cold water and drain well.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a large pot and heat, allowing to boil for 3 minutes. Add cucumber mixture and stir well over low heat until all vegetables are well coated with thepickle mixture.
- Spoon into sterilized jars and seal immediately. Store in a cool, dark, dry place for a week before using.